Privacy Collection Statement
- Provide you with news, event details, ticket deals and other special offers
- Market products and services to you; and
- Comply with our legal obligations.
Consent By providing us information, you give us your express consent to our exchanging of your information with our related bodies corporate, agents and contractors (such as call centres and third party suppliers), some of whom reside outside of Australia. If you provide us with personal information about another person (such as an additional family member), please make sure that you tell that person about this privacy statement. To access the personal information, we hold about you, call us on + 61 3 8391 6099 Opt-out If you no longer want to receive communications from us, you may request to opt-out from receiving such marketing communication by contacting us on + 61 3 8391 6099 or by emailing us on email@example.com. We will not charge you for any request to opt-out and will process your request as soon as reasonably practicable.
- ‘Privacy Law’ refers to any legislative or other legal requirement that applies to NBL’s collection, use, disclosure or handling of personal information.
- ‘Personal information’ means information or an opinion about an identified individual or an individual who is reasonably identifiable, whether the information or opinion is true or not and whether the information or opinion is recorded in material form or not. Personal information includes sensitive information.
- ‘Sensitive information’ means personal information about an individual’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions or memberships, religious beliefs or affiliations, philosophical beliefs, professional or trade association/union memberships, sexual preferences and practices or criminal record.
- Prospective Fans and Members. This includes people we think may be interested in our products and services as well as people who have expressed interest in obtaining or learning more about those products and services.
- Current & Past Fans and Members. This includes people who previously requested NBL products or services or who are members or fans of on the NBL’s clubs.
NBL may collect personal information about associates of its customers, such as family members, employees or agents. For example, NBL may collect personal information about nominated or authorised representatives, the holder of a credit card that is used to pay for a member’s services. NBL may in rare circumstances collect personal information from people who are under the age of 18. If NBL does this, NBL may also collect personal information about the parent or guardian of that person. NBL also collects personal information about all the individuals who are involved in providing NBL products and services. This includes:
- staff NBL entities and associated Clubs; and
- service providers and suppliers, agents and affiliates, and their staff.
CAN YOU DEAL WITH NBL WITHOUT IDENTIFYING YOURSELF? In some limited situations fans, members and other individuals may be able to deal with NBL anonymously or using a pseudonym. For example, if you make a general inquiry to one of our call centres, or want to make a complaint unless the inquiry or complaint relates to a particular account. However, if you do not wish to be identified we may not be able to provide the information or assistance you require. WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DOES NBL USUALLY COLLECT? NBL collects a wide range of personal information about its customers, but the type and amount of information collected depends on the particular business context. However, NBL seeks at all times to ensure that it only collects the personal information that is necessary for the purposes of its business activities. NBL needs to collect basic identifying and contact information for all fans and members including prospective fans and members. This will usually include name, date of birth, email address, telephone number(s) and residential address. NBL also collects information about purchasing patterns, consumer preferences and attitudes from prospective and current fans and members for marketing purposes, including to analyse markets, develop marketing strategies and to identify and develop products and services that may be of interest to its customers. When you purchase a product or service from NBL, NBL collects additional information in order to assess your application and manage your account(s). This includes:
- Proof of identity information, including passport number, driver licence number or other government identifiers. We need this information to ensure our customer records are accurate and up-to-date.
- Information relating to change of name or status, which may include marriage certificates, death certificates and other official documentation. We may need this information where we are asked to close or transfer an account.
- Employment information, including information about employment history including current and past employers. We may need this information to assess the financial position of a person who applies to become an NBL customer.
We also collect information about the way our customers use NBL products and services. This includes information about:
- Product and service usage;
- Club affiliations;
- Event participation and game attendance;
- responses to offers made and/or promotions run by NBL or its affiliates;
- payment patterns and history; and
- inquiries and complaints.
We collect information about our employees and prospective employees for the purpose of making employment decisions and managing our staff. We also collect information about suppliers, service providers, agents and affiliates, and their staff, for the purposes of conducting our day-to-day business activities. HOW DOES NBL COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION? Information may be collected when you:
- become a member of the NBL;
- subscribe to any publication of NBL, including electronic publications;
- provide details to NBL in an application, consent form, competition, survey, feedback form or incident report;
- enter personal information into, or agree to having your personal information entered into, one of NBL’s online systems or by completing a form at an NBL activation site;
- access the NBL website;
- contact NBL via email, telephone or mail or engage with NBL via social media;
- participate in any program, activity, competition or event run by NBL;
- purchase tickets to an NBL event or match from NBL or an authorised agent;
- purchase merchandise, products or services from NBL or an authorised agent or licensee;
- are elected or appointed to the Board or a committee of NBL; or
- apply for employment or a volunteer position with NBL.
Personal information may also be collected where NBL is required to do so by law (for education, child protection, work health and safety laws, charitable collections, medical treatment or other legislation in Australia). Providing information If you do not provide some or all of the information that we request from you, this may affect NBL’s ability to communicate with you or provide the requested products or services. By not providing requested information, you may jeopardise your ability to participate in programs or competitions or apply for employment or volunteer positions with NBL. If it is impracticable for NBL to deal with you as a result of you not providing the requested information or consent, NBL may refuse to do so. Collection from third parties NBL may collect personal information regarding a child from the parent or other responsible person associated with that child. In some circumstances, NBL collects information from other third parties. Information storage and protection NBL stores information in different ways, including in paper and electronic form. Much of the information we collect from and about our members and from or about people who register their interest in NBL is added to one of NBL’s databases. When your information is entered into NBL’s membership database, the information may be combined or linked with other information held about you. Security of personal information is important to NBL. NBL has taken steps to protect the information we hold from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Some of the security measures NBL uses includes strict confidentiality requirements of our employees, volunteers, service providers, security measures for system access and security measures for our website. WHAT INFORMATION WILL NBL GIVE YOU WHEN IT COLLECTS PERSONAL INFORMATION? NBL is required by Privacy Law to take reasonable steps to ensure that you are made aware of certain information when it collects personal information about you. For example, we are required to:
- tell you which NBL entity you are dealing with and how to contact it;
- make sure you are aware that we have collected the information (if we collect it from a third party without your knowledge);
- identify any law that authorises or requires collection of the information;
- let you know the purposes for which we collect the information, the entities that the information is likely to be disclosed to and whether the information will be transferred outside Australia; and
- For example: When personal information is collected via the NBL website or any affiliate website that NBL may advertise on, a statement is displayed or a link provided to a statement that sets out the information we are required to provide.
- A statement containing the required information is printed on the sign-up page of most of the standard forms we use to collect personal information.
- When you deal with us on the telephone, this information is given to you by the operator or via a recorded message. If we collect personal information about you from a third party, we take reasonable steps to ensure you receive the information we are required to provide. However, we may do this by requiring the third party to provide the information, rather than us providing the information to you directly. We may also include information about our collection of personal information in notices and other documents we give to our customers, fans and members.
- verify your identity;
- complete background checks;
- research, develop, run, administer and market competitions, programs, activities and other events relating to basketball or other sports;
- research, develop and market products, services, merchandise and special offers made available by us and third parties, licensees, suppliers and sponsors;
- respond to emergency situations involving or requiring medical treatment;
- administer, manage and provide you with access to NBL Website; and
- keep you informed of news and information relating to various NBL events, activities and opportunities via various mediums.
NBL may use health information to ensure that programs we operate are run safely and in accordance with any special health needs participants may require. Health information may also be kept for insurance purposes. In addition, we may use de-identified health information and other sensitive information to carry out research, to prepare submissions to government, or to plan events and activities.Disclosure NBL may disclose your personal information to a range of organisations which include, but are not limited to:
- NBL Clubs and other sporting programs in Australia;
- companies we engage to carry out functions and activities on NBL’s behalf, including direct marketing;
- our professional advisers, including our accountants, auditors and lawyers;
- our insurers;
- relevant sporting bodies; and
- in other circumstances permitted by law.
In some circumstances personal information may also be disclosed outside of Australia. In such circumstances, NBL will use our best endeavours to ensure such parties are subject to a law, binding scheme or contract which effectively upholds principles for fair handling of the information that are suitably similar to the Australian Privacy Principles. Direct marketing We will use non-sensitive personal information to provide better services and for marketing purposes (including disclosure of such information to service providers). If you do not wish to receive e-mail, SMS or posted offers from NBL, you may opt-out by using the link provided. Alternatively, you may advise us at any time by contacting NBL via the contact details set out in this policy. Other disclosures In addition, NBL may also disclose personal information:
- with your express or implied consent;
- when required or authorised by law;
- to an enforcement body when reasonably necessary; or
- to lessen or prevent a threat to an individual or public health or safety.
- NBL’s customer service and marketing call centre operations are based in Manila, Philippines. Personal information about prospective, current and past fans, members and customers is accessed by our Manila based staff for the purpose of sales and marketing, customer service, correspondence, and other support activities.
- Database and webhosting services provided to NBL involve personal information being transferred to IT service providers based in India, Philippines, Singapore, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, Canada and the United States of America.